Monday, October 12, 2009

Truly Good News

As you may recall, Brian was facing three planned surgeries to address secondary injuries associated with SCI. While the first surgery did not yield the results we had hope to receive, the genuine great news to be shared is an unexpected and dramatic healing of Brian’s once dangerous pressure wound. It was only five weeks ago that we had made a special trip back home to arrange for reconstructive plastic surgery at Duke’s Raleigh Hospital. It was to be the second of three planned surgeries for various problems. Brian’s persistent pressure wound had shown little signs of healing during its six months of existence, despite one therapeutic approach after another. The wound prevented Brian from doing much of anything, except for infrequent short outings from the apartment. Too little face to face social interaction was taking a toll. Even a loner like me was finding it more and more difficult to take. Therapy dog “Rocco”, all 110 lbs of him, was a big help. In my humble view, dogs are one of God’s most wonderful creations (I guess that is why our family has spent a life time having them; we currently have seven dogs in our extended family, assuming that Brian’s sister, Leah, has not rescued yet another one.).


We are truly blessed to have this unexpected healing of such a persistent pressure wound. We initially had been told that surgery should be done as quickly possible with little to no hope offered that the wound would otherwise heal. Moreover, successful healing from surgery could not be guaranteed. I can't recall exactly why, but Brian opted to wait another few weeks. Yes, there were a few changes in treatment strategies, but there were also earnest prayers, specifically asking for this wound to heal.


What to make of it all? Each of us will have an answer, even if it is simply – who knows. As for me, the dad, here’s what it means to me (And it took a dear friend to help me with this. Mike C., I do thank you.): It means that I should continue to work hard, but have the confidence that God will take care of me and mine. Can you understand what that means to someone like me, someone who is so unwilling to let go? I’ve got to go hard and try, but being more confident that God is there taking care of us all, that I can do. In fact, I have already learned to let go to the point that there are now some moments of rest and peace. And I do so very much thank God for that, and I will strive to find the right balance that He wants from me.


In closing, I thank you for taking time to read this blog, and for your support and concern for Brian. And thank you NC State, for providing Brian with a fund-raising opportunity at the RED Rally Event in Reynolds.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update - I am glad to hear things are turning around. I look forward to seeing you guys Friday night!

    ReplyDelete